Over the course of two months, students will learn the ins and outs of how to become a DJ and craft incredible sets that will rock dance floors for HOURS! After learning how to beat match, use phrasing, and work with the industry leading club-ready equipment, you can be confident that your DJ skill set will impress both your audience and promoters alike!
(OUR UNIQUE CURRICULUM)
1 - Hardware & Technique
2 - Performance & Promotion
Hardware & Technique
In Phase 1 students are introduced to the concept of what it means to be a DJ along with some history of DJing and how the equipment has evolved over time. We then introduce students to the Pioneer Nexus system which is the professional industry standard when it comes to the world of DJing and demonstrate how it can integrate with the Rekordbox software. Students are immediately using this equipment and software while learning the basic concepts of beatmatching, phrasing, mixing in key, using EQ and so much more! There is plenty of hands on practice time for students to become proficient with this setup and this is when we start introducing them to some more advanced mixing concepts like Hot Cues and FX.
Hardware & Technique
In Phase 2 we are going to introduce the students to the concept of using software to DJ such as Traktor and Serato and we will demonstrate how these software programs are unique and how they can integrate with hardware such as turntables and the Pioneer Nexus system. The students will also learn about cable types and how to setup, connect and teardown the entire Pioneer Nexus system allowing them to get a better understanding of signal flow and how the entire system works. The final project for Phase 2 will be to record and edit a 30 minute demo mix and the students will be shown how to do this using a combination of multiple software and hardware options. Finally, we will talk to the students about promoting, marketing, networking and how to navigate the nightlife and the professional world of DJing.
The FADE Program at KMG Academy
- Beat Matching
- Cue Points & Beat Jumping
- Reading The Room
- Looping & Layering
- Mixing in Key
- Artist Development
- Much More!
- At the end of the course students are expected to have completed their first recorded DJ mix.
- Classes meet twice a week for two hours each; with an option for an extra two hours of private lessons each week at the student’s request.
- During class students will be asked to share work with an emphasis on creative collaboration and community.
- 2 Months
- Bi-Monthly Enrollment
- 2 Classes/week , 2 Hours/class
- Exam/Practical Grading
- 16BG+ Flash drive
- Classe365 Learning Management Software
- Study Materials
- Manage Student Progress
KMG Academy Locations
- 3063 Sterling Cir. #6
- Boulder, CO 80301
- 875 Kalamath St.
- Denver, CO 80204
Boulder Open Office Hours
- Office Hours: Mon-Thurs 10AM-12PM & Wed 7:30PM-9:30PM
- *work with an instructor outside of class
- Open Lab Hours: Mon-Thurs 10AM-9:30PM,
- Studios C, D, F Open Lab Hours: 7:30PM-9:30PM
- *personal music/practice production suites
Denver Open Office Hours
Office Hours: Tues&Thurs 10AM-12PM